About the Society
On 4 July 2001, following the annual conference of the Society for French Studies in University College Dublin, a meeting was held to inaugurate The Society of Dix-Neuviémistes (SDN).
The aims of the society are:
- To provide a forum for the promotion and dissemination of research in nineteenth-century French and Francophone studies in the UK and Ireland
- To encourage interdisciplinary and comparative approaches to the ‘long’ nineteenth century (1789-1914) in France and Francophone countries, embracing linguistic, literary, historical, cultural and philosophical perspectives
- To foster nineteenth-century French studies in the postgraduate community
- To organise an annual conference, and to establish an international, fully-refereed journal
- To liaise with related societies in the UK, USA, and France